THE IOWA STATE DIGITAL CONTENT SOLUTION
IMMEDIATE ACCESS OFFERS:
Immediate Access is a collaborative program between the ISU Book Store, faculty and publishers. Students that are enrolled in an Immediate Access course will receive access to all required course materials on the first day of class and at a reduced cost compared to the national average.
- Day 1 access to digital course materials through Canvas LMS
- Robust interactive digital content and ebooks
- Reduced course materials cost compared to current print and digital options
- Increased student engagement with added measurable data components
- Eliminates need for multiple access codes
- Also available for non-traditional course materials outside of Canvas. (i.e. e-lab notebook, assessments )
HOW DOES IMMEDIATE ACCESS WORK?
- Faculty collaborate with their publisher representatives and the ISU Book Store to coordinate course materials and cost savings
- Faculty receive instructions to set up their course materials within the LMS
- The ISU Book Store communicates the program to enrolled students via student book list in AccessPlus
- Once the content is published by the faculty, students log into the LMS and access their materials on Day 1 of class
- When a faculty member chooses Immediate Access for any course, details will be posted in the student book list
- Upon enrollment in the course, the charge will be automatically billed to the student’s university account (U-Bill)
- Students will receive access to the digital course material through Canvas LMS on the first day of class
- An opt-out option is available or students will be automatically refunded if they drop the course in allotted time period
Interested? Please email the ISU Book Store at [email protected]
How much does Immediate Access cost?
Prices will vary depending on the course materials chosen by your instructor. Most Immediate Access prices are lower than the cost to access the material directly through the publisher and averages a cost savings upwards of 60% off the price of a new print textbook.
How am I billed for Immediate Access?
You will see a charge on your U-bill from the bookstore on or before the first day of class. There is nothing tangible to purchase from the ISU Book Store, you will receive access to the digital course material from your instructor on the first day of class.
What does it mean to opt-out?
If you do not want to receive your digital course material through this model you can opt-out and receive a refund. Simply login to Canvas, navigate to the course material, and click the opt-out button. Don’t wait! Opt-outs are only accepted within the first 10 days of class (5th day of class for partial semester courses). Access to the digital course material will be revoked at that time, and you will be responsible to find the required course material by other means.
What if I chose to opt-out, but changed my mind?
No worries! If you are still within in the first 10 days of class, you can click the opt-in button in Canvas and have access to the material again. If you need assistance, send us an email at [email protected].
What if I drop the course? Can I still get a full refund?
If you drop your course prior to the 10th day of class (5th day of class for partial semester courses), you will automatically receive a refund for the digital course material. Courses dropped beyond the 10th day of class are not eligible for refunds. Partial semester courses, must be dropped by the 5th business day after the start of the course to receive a refund.
If you have a question that was not included in the FAQ please contact please contact us at [email protected]